Cooking Healthy on a Budget
Tamworth residents are invited to take part in our ‘Cooking Healthy on a Budget’ Course put together in partnership with Tamworth Borough Council’s Tenant Participation team and Tamworth’s Citizens Advice Bureau.
The 6 week course funded through the Healthy prospectus enables Tamworth residents to come together in a fun, friendly, safe environment, cooking healthy meals for £5 or less. 12 participants take part on each course and we make 6 pairs of Chef’s and Buddies, working together throughout the 6 weeks.
Each week participants will learn about healthy cooking, cooking the meals they have chosen with their cooking ‘buddy’ and we give you £5 each week to purchase the ingredients for the following week. .
Gain a qualification - All participants will also gain their Food Hygiene Level 2 by end of the 6 week course.
Healthy Eating Education – We spend time each week introducing and discussing information around eating healthy such as –
- Portion control
- The effect of salt & saturated salts in foods
- Effect of eating unhealthy foods and weight gain
- Sugar content in foods
In addition to the healthy eating discussions and sessions we also have the expertise of a Citizens Advice Bureau money management advisor who works with participants to think about budgeting skills.
The Cooking Healthy on a Budget project is a partnership with Tamworth Borough Council’s Tenant Involvement Team and Tamworth’s Citizens Advice Bureau.
As part of our partnership we are also getting Tamworth Residents to fill out a ‘Healthy Tamworth’ Pledge Card which is a simple way to making a commitment to making a healthy lifestyle change that can fit your lifestyle. Examples include –
- Take the stairs instead of the lift
- When in a car park, park your car at the furthest point, so you have to walk further to your destination
- Get off the bus one stop before you usually do and walk the rest of the way to your destination
- At work, get up and walk to your colleague’s desk if you need to speak, instead of emailing from your desk
- Go for a 10 minute walk in your lunch break, and again before dinner in the evening
- Invest in a bike, and cycle short journeys instead of using the car.
You can also do this via the Tamworth Borough Council’s Website by clicking this link – Healthy Tamworth Pledge
As an incentive to all participants for taking part in our project and completing the 6 week course we give each participant a Slow Cooker and a shopping voucher from a local supermarket for the value of £20.
We have funding to carry out 8 course per year and placements are on a first come first served basis. To register your interest and take part, all you need to do is contact us on either 01827 59646 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also send us a message via the contact page on this website.